Weight loss can be a daunting task, especially for those who have struggled with it for a long time. While diet and exercise are the cornerstones of weight loss, they don’t always work for everyone. In such cases, seeking the help of a weight loss doctor can be a game-changer.
A weight loss doctor is a medical professional who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of obesity and related conditions. These doctors are trained to address the complex medical, psychological, and social factors that contribute to weight gain and provide evidence-based strategies to help patients achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
Today, we will explore the various types of options that doctors who specialize in weight loss can provide to those seeking to lose weight.
What Benefits Do Doctors That Help With Weight Loss Provide?
Obesity-trained physicians can offer a wide range of services and treatments to help patients achieve their weight loss goals. Here are some of the ways a weight-loss doctor can help:
- 1. Medical Evaluation
- One of the first things a weight-loss doctor will do is conduct a comprehensive medical assessment. This assessment may include obtaining a detailed medical history and performing a physical examination.
They may request that you obtain blood tests and other diagnostic tests from your primary physician to check for any hormonal imbalances or metabolic disorders that may be contributing to weight gain or making weight loss more difficult. These conditions can include hypothyroidism, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), sleep apnea, or diabetes, among others.
Once identified, the doctor will develop a personalized treatment plan to manage these conditions, which may include medication, lifestyle modifications, or other interventions.
- 2. Customized Weight Loss Plan
- Based on your medical evaluation, a weight loss doctor will create a customized weight loss plan tailored to your individual needs and goals. This plan may include a combination of diet, exercise, and medication, depending on your specific situation.
- 3. Behavioral Modification
- Behavioral modification is a crucial aspect of weight loss, as many individuals struggle with emotional eating, stress eating, or other unhealthy habits. Weight loss doctors and their teams can provide help with strategies and techniques that help turn unhealthy habits into healthier lifestyle changes, which may include mindfulness, stress reduction, positive self-talk, and goal setting.
Doctors who help with weight loss can also help you identify any behavioral and emotional factors that may be contributing to your weight gain, such as depression, anxiety, or low self-esteem. If needed, they can help get you plugged in with additional professionals who use evidence-based techniques to help you learn to modify these behaviors and develop healthier habits.
- 4. Nutritional Counseling
- Nutrition is a critical aspect of weight loss, and weight loss doctors are well-versed in the latest research on diet and nutrition. A weight loss doctor can provide patients with personalized nutritional counseling to help them make informed choices about what to eat and when to eat it. They can also help patients develop a healthy and sustainable meal plan that takes into account their individual nutritional needs, dietary restrictions, and personal preferences. Nutritional counseling can also help patients understand the importance of portion control, calorie tracking, and mindful eating.
- 5. Prescription Medication
- In some cases, prescription medications may be necessary to help with weight loss. A weight loss doctor can prescribe medication that is safe and effective for your individual situation. Medications may include appetite suppressants or medications that target specific medical conditions that contribute to weight gain, such as diabetes.
- 6. Weight Loss Tools
- For those who have not had success with other weight loss methods, a non-surgical weight loss procedure may be an option. A weight loss doctor can evaluate whether you are a candidate for an endoscopic procedure such as the Orbera balloon or endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) to help you lose weight. The best doctors for weight loss are experts who specialize in endoscopy and are skilled in performing these minimally invasive weight loss procedures.
- 7. Ongoing Support
- Weight loss is not a one-time event; it requires ongoing effort and commitment. A weight loss doctor and their professional team can provide ongoing support and monitoring to help you stay on track and achieve your long-term goals.
- 8. Lifestyle Coaching
- Doctors who specialize in weight loss understand that the only way to maintain a healthy weight is through the dedication and discipline of making healthy choices every day while avoiding unhealthy choices.
Trading in a sedentary lifestyle for one that incorporates daily physical activity, abstaining from processed and fast foods, and opting for preparing meals at home from high-quality healthy ingredients are a few changes that will help you lose weight and keep it off in the long run.
Even though you may know this in theory, you may be at a loss as to how to put it into practice in your daily life. Lifestyle coaching teaches you how to take what you know and apply it practically in real life. Sometimes, understanding the reason behind something makes a big difference in how you handle a situation. Also, understanding that you may encounter certain roadblocks or difficulties and having strategies in place in advance gives you what you need to effectively deal with them should they arise.
Lifestyle coaching aims to take the behaviors that are counterproductive to our health and turn them into lifelong habits that improve our well-being.
- 10. Guidance for Exercise
- In addition to nutrition, exercise is another essential component of weight loss. A weight loss doctor can provide patients with guidance for exercise that is tailored to their individual needs and abilities. This may include aerobic exercise, resistance training, or a combination of both.
The doctor can also guide how to increase physical activity throughout the day, such as by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or going for a walk during lunch breaks.
Exercise guidance is particularly important for patients who have health conditions that limit their mobility or require special considerations, such as joint problems or heart disease.
Contact A Weight Loss Doctor Who Is Trained In Obesity Medicine And Endoscopy
Doctors who help with weight loss can provide invaluable help and support for those struggling with obesity and the complications that come along with it. They can offer a comprehensive approach that addresses both the physical and emotional aspects of weight loss and can help patients achieve lasting results.
If you are struggling with weight loss, contact Simmons MD Advanced Weight Loss Solutions to explore your options and find the help you need to achieve your goals.
Dr. Simmons is one of the country’s most knowledgeable weight-loss doctors. His extensive training in obesity medicine, bariatric endoscopy, and gastroenterology qualifies him to provide the highest degree of patient support and guidance to help them achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
From comprehensive medical assessments to personalized nutritional counseling, exercise guidance, behavioral modification, medication, and/or a non-surgical weight loss procedure, Dr. Simmons and his team offer evidence-based interventions that can make a significant difference in patients’ lives.
If you are struggling with obesity or other weight-related health conditions, we invite you to reach out to us today for an appointment to learn more about the options that are available to you. We are here to help you succeed in reaching your weight-loss goals.