According to the CDC, the current obesity epidemic in the United States adds up to over $173 billion in healthcare costs annually. Other staggering statistics reported by the CDC include the following:
- 1 out of every 5 children is obese;
- 1 out of every 3 adults is obese;
- Only 25% of adults and 22% of America’s youth get an adequate amount of exercise or physical activity each day;
- 3 out of every 5 young adults would be disqualified for military basic training due to weight reasons;
- Less than 1% of Americans consume the recommended daily requirement of vegetables each day.
There is no question that many Americans need to change their lifestyle habits and become healthier. We get questions from our patients all the time about how and why they should participate in one of our amazing weight loss programs. What are the benefits of losing weight? What is the best way to lose weight and keep it off? Is it possible to get help with weight loss without the need for surgery? Are non-surgical weight loss procedures effective?
Today, we are going to address these questions in detail to provide a better understanding of how important a healthy weight is to our quality of life and longevity.
Benefits Of Losing Weight
Excess weight is a contributing factor to many medical conditions and losing weight has proven effective in eliminating or reducing the risks of experiencing these conditions or their symptoms.
Some of these health benefits include the following:
- Type 2 diabetes elimination or remission – 82% of the participants involved in a study conducted by JAMA who lost a significant amount of weight experienced the reversal of their type 2 diabetes.
- Hypertension improvements – 79% of patients who lost weight participating in the above-mentioned JAMA study also showed significant improvements in their blood pressure readings with almost 62% of hypertension instances eliminated.
- Joint problems and mobility – Excess weight causes inflammation and the breakdown of vital joints in the knees, hips, and ankles, which can impede an individual’s ability to carry out their normal daily routine. After losing weight, many patients are able to enjoy activities they never have been able to do before. (organized sports, playing with their kids, etc)
- Women’s fertility
- Obesity is linked with infertility and women who suffer from obesity are more likely to experience issues with conception and progressing through a full-term pregnancy without complications.
- An interesting study was conducted on obese women who had issues with their reproductive cycles. After six months of practicing lifestyle changes that included eating a healthy diet and getting daily exercise, all the women who had lost at least 23 pounds experienced positive changes. The majority of them resumed a normal spontaneous ovulation schedule and 45 of these women became pregnant and delivered full-term babies.
- Reduces or eliminates the risk of many diseases and conditions
- Sleep apnea;
- Asthma and other breathing disorders;
- Cholesterol issues;
- Fatty liver disease;
- Urinary stress incontinence;
- Many types of cancer (A National Cancer Institute study linked obesity to 13 types of hormonal cancers);
- Heart Disease.
- Promotes healthy self-esteem and boosts energy levels
- Increases quality of life and longevity
- A recent study reported that moving from “obese” to “overweight” on the BMI scale resulted in lowering the patient’s risk of mortality by 54%.
- Studies have shown that losing weight can improve your chance of living longer. A study of over 10,000 individuals who lost a significant amount of weight showed a significant reduction in the risk of dying prematurely from heart disease (56% reduction) diabetes (92% reduction), or cancer (60% reduction).
What Is The Best Way To Lose Weight And Keep It Off?
Losing weight is a challenge even for the most diligent and motivated individual. The best way for an obese person to lose weight is to seek help from a professional who specializes in the treatment of obesity such as Dr. Simmons from Simmons MD Advanced Weight Loss Solutions.
Working with a team of professionals who will create a customized plan that will address your specific needs and provide comprehensive support during your weight loss journey will help you succeed in reaching your weight loss goals.
Can I Get Weight Loss Help Without Surgery?
Yes, at Simmons MD Advanced Weight Loss Solutions, we will create a safe and effective weight loss program just for you that does not involve surgery. We offer non-surgical weight loss options that will help your efforts pay off with greater results.
These non-surgical weight loss procedures include:
- The Orbera Weight Loss Balloon;
- Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG);
- Prescription Weight Loss Medication;
- Bariatric Revision Procedure.
These weight loss options deliver optimal results when used in conjunction with healthy lifestyle modifications, such as a nutrient-rich diet, portion control, and physical exercise.
What Are The Benefits Of Non-Surgical Weight Loss Procedures?
We know there are numerous benefits associated with losing weight, but there are also many benefits to losing it with the help of a non-surgical weight loss procedure. Non-surgical procedures are part of a comprehensive doctor-managed program that is tailored to meet the patient’s weight loss needs and goals.
Some benefits of losing weight without surgery include the following:
- Easier qualification requirements – There are far fewer restrictions or pre-qualifiers required to undergo a non-surgical weight loss procedure compared to bariatric surgery. Most providers only require a BMI of 30 or a BMI of 27 accompanied by a medical weight-related condition to qualify for a non-surgical weight loss solution.
- Underlying conditions that are impeding successful weight loss are addressed
- Factors such as hormones, genetics, stress, unhealthy behavior patterns, and metabolism issues can work against even the best weight loss efforts;
- These issues are identified and addressed as part of a comprehensive medically based non-surgical weight loss program;
- A customized plan is created for each patient that will ensure success and result in significant weight loss.
- Provide education, accountability, and motivation
- Non-surgical weight loss procedures work because they not only help the patient through physical means but these programs also teach life skills that promote weight loss. Teaching patients the importance of eating healthy and getting exercise can foster long-term lifestyle changes;
- Working with a support team of professionals can help identify unhealthy behaviors. This can, in turn, provide the life skills and encouragement necessary to work through them and remove the barriers to their weight loss.
- No incisions or hospital stay is required
- No part of the stomach is removed
- Most bariatric surgeries, including the popular gastric sleeve, involve surgically removing part of the patient’s stomach. Non-surgical weight loss procedures can create a smaller stomach capacity without a scalpel.
- Fewer associated risks & complications
- The risk of postoperative pain, infection, or other complications is greatly reduced and recovery is much faster and smoother because there are no incisions involved in non-surgical weight loss procedures.
- Minimal to no downtime
- Extended recovery times can affect your professional and personal life in negative ways. Non-surgical weight loss procedures offer significantly shorter recovery times so patients can resume their normal activities and not be concerned about impediments to their income generation;
- Feeling better faster will help promote increased weight loss because patients can participate in physical activity and exercise much sooner than after surgery.
- Proven results
- Non-surgical weight loss procedures offered at Simmons MD Weight Loss Solutions have been proven effective and are approved by the FDA;
- Results in long-term weight loss
- Quick, safe, and easy
- It can take months to meet the qualifications and prerequisites for bariatric surgery but the process is much faster with a nonsurgical weight loss procedure;
- Non-surgical weight loss procedures do not require weeks of pre-procedure preparation, unlike bariatric surgery;
- Weight loss procedures without surgery are performed as outpatient procedures and patients return home the same day as the procedure.
- Boosts confidence and improves overall well-being
- Achieving weight loss goals provide a sense of accomplishment and pride;
- Through the process, patients learn healthy habits that support their overall wellness;
- The NCBI (The National Center for Biotechnology Information) reported that weight-loss procedures helped to improve patients’ overall satisfaction, happiness, and quality of life.
- Longer healthier lives
- Patients tend to live healthier lifestyles after their non-surgical weight loss procedure because they have learned strategies to manage stress and have learned how to eat better and get enough exercise, which reduces the risk of disease and premature death.
Many people associate losing weight with aesthetics and while that is definitely a big plus, the biggest reward gained from weight loss is the incredible health benefits. Obesity is the number 2 cause of preventable death in the United States.
If you are struggling with your weight, do not be discouraged. Contact us today to learn more about weight loss options that do not require surgery. At Simmons MD Advanced Weight Loss Solutions we can provide you with a custom program for non-surgical weight loss that will help you achieve your weight loss goals and improve your health.
Set up a consultation today. We would love to partner with you and support you during your weight loss journey!