Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty In Miami
What is Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG)?
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) is a non-surgical weight loss procedure that is performed without incisions. The ESG procedure reduces the patient’s stomach by between 70% and 80% to effectively promote weight loss without surgery.
How Is Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Performed?
During the ESG procedure, the doctor accesses the patient’s stomach through the use of an endoscope (a thin flexible hollow tube outfitted with a camera and a light) and there are no incisions made.
The endoscope is advanced through the mouth to access the stomach while the doctor views the procedure on a video monitor nearby. The patient’s stomach is reshaped to form a tube-like banana shape and a special suturing device is used to hold the new smaller stomach in place. The procedure usually takes under an hour to perform.
Patients go home the same day and there is no overnight hospital stay needed. Most individuals can return to their normal routine in just a few days.
How Does ESG Help With Weight Loss?
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is an effective tool to help patients lose weight for two main reasons.
- The reduced stomach capacity helps with portion control and requires less food to feel full. The reduction in caloric intake results in weight loss;
- The ESG procedure also increases the length of time it takes for the stomach to empty which helps patients feel full longer
Who Is a Candidate for Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG)?
- Have a BMI of over 30 and their attempts at traditional methods of weight loss (low-calorie diet and exercise) have not been successful;
- Patients who do not desire to have surgery or are not candidates for bariatric surgery;
- Patients who may wish to revise their procedure in the future as endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is reversible;
- Good candidates for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty understand that the procedure is a tool to assist them in losing weight and they are committed to making the long-term lifestyle changes necessary to promote and maintain weight loss.
What Is The Weight Loss Potential Of ESG?
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty can help patients lose a significant amount of weight. The expected weight loss is approximately 20% of the patient’s total body weight or between sixty and seventy percent of their excess body weight. Excess body weight is calculated by subtracting the target body weight from the current body weight.
The results of a recent study indicated that patients with a BMI of 38-40 lost an average of 40 lbs in 6 months and patients with a BMI of 45+ lost 75 lbs on average in 6 months.
Patient commitment to making and adhering to necessary lifestyle changes will also impact weight loss result potential. Many patients have reported weight loss results of 100 pounds or more!
Who In Miami Performs the ESG Procedure?
If you are looking for an outstanding medical professional to do an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty in Florida, book a consultation with the leading expert in gastroenterology and bariatric endoscopy, Dr. Okeefe L. Simmons.
Dr. Simmons graduated with research honors from medical school at the University of Miami and continued his education and practice at the University of Texas. He completed four-year fellowship training at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and Cornell Medicine / New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. He acquired not only clinical and procedural expertise in gastroenterology, bariatric endoscopy, and obesity medicine, but also greatly contributed to research in these fields.
Currently, Dr. Simmons serves as a member of several medical organizations that focus on bariatric endoscopy and obesity issues and teaches the University of Miami gastroenterology fellowship trainees at the Miami Veteran Affairs Medical Center. Having gained knowledge, practice, and expertise in obesity medicine across the country, he has returned to Florida to transform the lives of people struggling with obesity and being overweight.
To learn more about the ESG procedure in Miami, Fl, contact us today! Set up a consultation at Simmons MD Advanced Weight Loss Solutions and begin your weight loss journey today!